Re: Gelatin-polymer blend

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 01/20/06-12:01:58 PM Z

From: Jack Brubaker <jack@jackbrubaker.com>
Subject: Re: Gelatin-polymer blend (was Re: Gesso sizing)
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 09:33:28 -0500

> Ryuji,
>
> The gesso acrylic may not work for your purposes as a hardener for silver
> processes but it certainly makes a hard and durable sizing for gum. I have
> used it a few times and was able to coat and develop with my usual rough
> brushing and even with many layers (many soakings and brushings) it held up
> and the paper had not stain. I suspect the gelatin is not "hardened" but
> just trapped within a matrix of acrylic.
>
> Jack

I don't doubt you could do all that but as I said in my previous posts
my objections are elsewhere. Incorporation of unknown matting agent
and titanium white is unacceptable by my standard.

In my case, the average size of gelatin molecule is significantly
larger than that of the polyacrylates. So I don't really agree with
the analogy of acrylates trapping gelatin.