Re: Repost: (cheap and good) coating tool

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 01/20/06-02:24:06 PM Z

From: "Gordon J. Holtslander" <holtsg@duke.usask.ca>
Subject: Re: Repost: (cheap and good) coating tool
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 14:04:33 -0600

> The paint/finishing pad I use to finish the coat is one of these. I can
> get nice 7 inch wide ones with a nice handle. I tried coating my size
> with just these, but found I didn't get an even coverage, but that may
> have been with some of the thicker sizing mixtures I experimented with.

My emulsion can be thick but found little problem with these edger pads.
My sizing solutions are much thinner and a lot less viscous and they
never presented problems like you said.

> The rollers I have been using have essentially the same surface as these
> paint/finishing pads, they are simply round roller version of a finishing
> pad.

This, I am not sure. The pads I recommended are very specific to those
brands and catalog numbers. The same manufacturers made different pads
that worked so poorly that I threw them all out. The ones that worked
very well had short, fine, straight, hairs standing parpendicularly to
the surface. It's sort of like a giant toothbrush with short, very fine
bristles. I've never seen a roller with hairs standing like that.

I have poor experience with rollers and pads that have napped cloth
like surface. Some of them worked ok but not too well.

> Considering adding some tween 20 to my gum mix to reduce the foam and
> bubbles the roller introduces. Has anyone done this?

I don't know about Tween 20. Tween 20, Triton X-100, etc. are good
wetting agents but not very good coating aids.