Re: Repost: (cheap and good) coating tool

From: Gordon J. Holtslander ^lt;holtsg@duke.usask.ca>
Date: 01/20/06-02:04:33 PM Z

Hi:

Thanks Ryuji.

The paint/finishing pad I use to finish the coat is one of these. I can
get nice 7 inch wide ones with a nice handle. I tried coating my size
with just these, but found I didn't get an even coverage, but that may
have been with some of the thicker sizing mixtures I experimented with.

Doing bad sciene - introducing way too many variables at once :)

The rollers I have been using have essentially the same surface as these
paint/finishing pads, they are simply round roller version of a finishing
pad.

I've been using finishing pads when coating gum - I brush on the gum mix,
or roll on the gum, and finish the coat with a pad - evens everything out.
I've been able to get nicely coated gums this way.

Considering adding some tween 20 to my gum mix to reduce the foam and
bubbles the roller introduces. Has anyone done this?

Gord

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006, Ryuji Suzuki wrote:

> Gord, did you try this? This is the cheapest and best hand coating
> tool I've found for both sizing and silver gelatin emulsion. With a
> suitable surfactant and defoamer you can coat paper very quickly and
> evenly without leaving holidays. I've tried all sorts of rollers from
> several hardware stores including Home Depot but ALL of them leave
> some texture no matter how I use them. Besides texture, foaming and
> uneven coating are common problems especially with thick emulsion. The
> area where you stop rolling and lift up gets more foam and thicker
> coat than the middle of the rolling zone. So I bought a box of
> replacement pads described in the attached post, and be done with
> it. I don't roll any more.
>
> Ryuji

Gordon J. Holtslander Dept. of Biology
holtsg@duke.usask.ca 112 Science Place
http://duke.usask.ca/~holtsg University of Saskatchewan
Tel (306) 966-4433 Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Fax (306) 966-4461 Canada S7N 5E2