Re: Eastern European RC papers

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 01/21/06-06:52:24 PM Z

From: Loris Medici <mail@loris.medici.name>
Subject: Eastern European RC papers
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 01:41:13 +0200

> Some workprints I've made on cold tone Forte polygrade RC paper
> showed silver plating (metallic / reflective silver particles in the
> dark tones) in a relatively short time period (in about 6 months,
> regardless the place I've kept them.

I understand the frustration, and that's exactly why I don't use Forte
RC paper. Their fiber papers are good, but the way their fiber papers
dry is indicative of inferior paper sizing and gelatin technology. If
you mixed AGFA Multicontrast Classic and Forte Fortezo paper in a
single printing session, you would immediately know which print was
made on which paper by the time the prints dried. I'm curious to know
if any of the high rank engineers from AGFA moved to Foma...

Incidentally, if you toned the print in polysulfide toner, that
problem could be prevented or at least significantly delayed. Common
complaints against polysulfide toner are strong odor and short shelf
life of dilute working solution, but I'm more convinced that these can
be improved rather inexpensively... more investigation is underway.