Re: what a hoot

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 01/23/06-10:07:06 PM Z

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, Christina Z. Anderson wrote:

> Ha,
> Did a powerpoint lecture on the syntax of alt today for my first class, and
> scanned a 100 alt prints from all my alt books to show the students. I gave
> the powerpoint with no details first and then asked the class each to talk
> about which of the 100 prints stayed with them. Judy's print of NY (sexy
> kinky with yellow sky) was a big hit. Credit where credit is due, Judy!

Chris, thank you -- I'm thrilled. And cannot resist adding the following:

1. I was very disappointed with that reproduction because the dorks at
the publisher cropped out the delicate edge, so that IMO it looked like a
C-print. The original has a slight accumulation of SLIGHTLY irregular
density where I'd used a cut out cardboard mask for coating -- not the
rough brushstroked edge that's overwhelming, but just enough to "frame"
the print & reveal work of the hand. (In my opinion, of course.)

2. Your students might be interested to know that the print was made from
one monochrome negative -- on lith film -- in 3 gum coats, with some touch
ups & brushing out inbetween (of course). A red coat was usually first,
then yellow, finally blue. The sky was too dense anyway to print through
that lith film, so, making a virtue of necessity, I painted it yellow.

3. The wonderful marquee literature of 1980s Times Square was always a
special treat & inspiration. Besides "Kinky Tramps," for instance, I have
a print of a marquee for "The Blond Next Door, Dirty Girls, and
[something] Score." There were usually "3 Smash Hits." In fact I'd
planned a little book to be printed in cyanotype, called "Blue Movies," of
the ongoing marquees... ("Naked Wet Sluts" was another fave.) But-- soo
many ideas, so many marquees, so little time. I haven't gotten to that
yet, tho who knows -- maybe some day.... assuming my negatives were well
enough washed in my early innocence to survive. (I have at least 300 rolls
of the old pre-Disney Times Square.... I can't bear to go there now.)

Meanwhile... clearly you have a wonderful class of brilliant students.
My heartfelt thanks to all.

Judy