Re: B&W Paper dissapearing

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 01/25/06-02:12:30 AM Z

From: Loris Medici <mail@loris.medici.name>
Subject: RE: B&W Paper dissapearing
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 11:08:23 +0200

> I was told that they purchase paper from Arches (and maybe some
> other papermaker) and have it coated with their emulsions (they make
> their own emulsions) by someone else (probably Forte as you
> say). Wouldn't this qualify them as a photographic papermaker?

The story I heard is that Berger has its own formula book at Forte
plant and Forte personnel manufactures Berger emulsion and coat it
according to Berger specification. BUT I have no direct contact with
Berger or Forte people and my info is not very reliable on this
one. If I had chance I would love to travel Eastern Europe and visit
Forte and Foma plants by buses manufactured by Hungarians, while
drinking beer made in Czech.

I think Berger qualifies as a manufacturer but not independently from
Forte... for example, when Forte stopped operation for some time,
Berger products also stopped to come in. (the current concern is the
financial security of the suppliers.)

By the way, I know Berger sells plain baryta coated paper but does
anyone know who makes this stuff? Arches?