Re: A camera question for alt-photo.

From: Henry Rattle <henry.rattle_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2006 19:04:41 +0100

Yaniv,

You'll certainly get superb scans from a 5x4 negative!

Lack of a darkroom needn't be a hindrance, provided you can assemble some
darkness for loading film into darkslides and subsequently into a developing
tank. I use an HP Combiplan developing tank which allows all the dev to take
place in the light once it is loaded. (If you are planning to make
transparencies from preloaded film packs, please ignore this!)

However, the main point of this note is to encourage you to look at
secondhand cameras. They are about, and provided they haven't been damaged
in some way, there's really nothing to go wrong. I've been very happy with
my little secondhand Ikeda field camera for a number of years, and it has
been round the world with me. I've no ideas how old it is - perhaps 20
years? The money could go on an extra lens or two.

Best wishes

Henry