Re: "Split-tone" with gum

From: Katharine Thayer <kthayer_at_pacifier.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 12:08:25 -0700

David,
Re: Sizing, the short answer is that the paper I printed these test
prints on was not sized. I don't see any logical reason why sizing
or lack thereof would be a factor in this effect, but I'll try it on
sized paper later to be sure.

  The longer answer about sizing for me is that I started out sizing
in the beginning, because all the books said you had to size, but
once when I needed some prints in a hurry and didn't have any paper
sized, I took a chance and printed tricolors on unsized paper, and as
a result I realized that sizing was an unnecessary step for me. I
didn't size again for a decade or more, until I started running into
paper that didn't print well for me unsized. The paper I currently
use, Arches bright white, is one of those papers. The factory sizing
is inadequate, leaving tiny holes throughout the sizing where
pigment is differentially absorbed, giving a speckled look to the
paper. See an example on my page on pigment stain:

http://www.pacifier.com/~kthayer/html/stain.html

about halfway down the page there is an example of stain on unsized
Rives BFK and on unsized Arches bright white.

So this paper has to be sized. But I've not been able to size any
paper for a while, due to the upheaval of moving, and I had used up
all my sized paper. For these test prints I just grabbed something
at random out of the odds and ends drawer and used that unsized. The
whites are clear, so I don't think the unsizedness of the paper is an
issue here. Holding one of the prints to the light, I see that it is
watermarked Fabriano Artistico, and by the coarse open texture of
the surface of the paper, I'd say it's Fabriano Artistico Extra-
White hot press.
Katharine