Re: "Split-tone" with gum

From: Katharine Thayer <kthayer_at_pacifier.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 14:09:11 -0700

Okay, I rummaged around in the odds and ends drawer of the paper file
and found a piece of sized Fabriano Artistico Extra White, then put a
splash of PG 36 (pthalo green) into PR 101 and printed it. Same
result as on the unsized paper: dark chocolate in the shadows, milk
chocolate in the midtones, pale greyish green in the highlights, and
clear whites. So as I suspected, sizing doesn't seem to be a factor
in this split-tone effect.

Then I took another sample of PR101 and put the tiniest drop of
pthalo blue (PB 15:3) into it, just touching the end of the pthalo
stirring stick to the red paint. to see if the reason I've been
getting brown rather than dark red was that I was adding too much of
the blue. Sure enough, it printed a deep earthy red, darker than
the PR 101 by itself but definitely still red rather than brown.
Funny, I cautioned earlier not to use very much of the pthalo because
it's so intense, but even I didn't realize what a tiny amount is
necessary to darken the red, and how little it takes to push it over
into brown.

But don't take my word for any of this, try it yourself and see what
happens.
Katharine