Re: Watercolor pigments - pigments to avoid...

From: TERRYAKING_at_aol.com
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 04:31:23 -0400 (EDT)

mail@loris.medici.name writes:

> AFAIK (after some web browsing), gelatine will retain 95% of its gelling
> power even after kept in a solution temperature of 50-60C for one hour (I kept
> the gelatine solution at 50C for not more than 10 minutes)... Many other
> resources on emulsion making and sizing state a temperature around 50-55C. Since
> gelatine's melting point is about 40C, I don't think an extra 10C would be so
> harmful to it...
>
> Loris.

Loris

You will have less trouble in gum printing if you keep the temperature of
your size at around its melting point of 40C or 104 F. Incidentally, gelatine
size works perfectly well for both platinum and palladium at the dilutioms you
suggest..

As to sources, Mike Ware cited a long list of academic papers over many
decades, which stated that an in camera exposure is orders of magnitude more than
that that required for a contact exposure; a simple test with a light metre
shows that they are much the same.

Never believe anything anybody ever tells you until you have checked it for
yourself, and this does not mean going to 'sources', or as the motto of the
Royal Society has it,' take no man's word for it'.

Keep it simple.

Terry