Re: Free form gum

From: Judy Seigel <jseigel_at_panix.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 17:29:05 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006, Don Bryant wrote:
> I've been looking at some of the gum work done by Ernestine Rubin and I am
> very intrigued by some of the gum prints found in her landscape portfolio
> such as this image.
>
> http://www.ernestineruben.com/PortfolioDetail.aspx?GP=3&IM=5
>
> Is this type of gum work considered to be free form gum?
>
> It appears that she may print sections at a time or perhaps coat several
> different pigment mixes together and expose all at once.

There's an article on Ernestine's gum prints in Post-Factory #8 covering
the landscape gums in particular. I think most of the suggestions on the
list of what they looked like they were probably cover the territory, and
let's face it every time you do this kind of "free form" printing it's a
new operation... but the article is interesting anyway. (I daresay not so
different from her website, but those who have it can read it anyway.)

As for split-tone gum, I used to do a one-coat gum that gave marvelous
split tones-- a kind of purple sienna in the highlights and black in the
shadows. Then I ran out of the black (Rowney guache jet black, as I
recall) and got a new tube with the identical number and name, but it
wouldn't. (The color I'd mixed with it was still the same tube, a
Quinacridone red, if memory serves.) In any event, that was when I gave up
single coat... I'd done enough, anyway.

Judy