RE: Gums a la Demachy and Puyo and all sorts of other things

From: Loris Medici <mail_at_loris.medici.name>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 15:49:51 +0300

I don't see what's over complicated with New Cyanotype. Making New Cyanotype
emulsion is pretty easy and the process of making the emulsion takes not
more than 10 mins - including heating water - but there's an approx. one
hour wait for the potassium oxalate crystallization and precipitation -
which I don't consider a problem at all; I can do many other things during
that one hour... New Cyanotype achieve something very important to me: high
dmax with just one coat. New Cyanotype is easier to coat because paper
absorbs the sensitizer more easily; I never had grainy results with New
Cyanotype (had grainness with some of my Classic Cyanotypes - I don't have
problems with coating Classic Cyanotype BTW, New Cyanotype is just easier).
The only issue that can be mentioned as a problem is: it chooses paper. (But
it must be noted that this bad attidute can be solved by adding a drop of
40% citric acid per ml of sensitizer just before coating). And I must admit
that I find very very interesting to hear from someone who does gum prints
(using many manipulation techniques) the words: "New Cyanotype over is
complicated" - it's a contradiction; I'd suggest that you make inkjet prints
instead of gums, if you so much dislike "over complicated" processes I mean
;)