Re: Troubleshooting cyanotypes

From: Randall Ellis <reellis67_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 12:18:09 -0400

I know with mine, I expose until the darkest areas reverse and turn a
light grey color (using sunlight, either direct or indirect, depending
on the day). In my experience, I've found that if a print looks good
before you wash, it is far underexposed. Before washing, mine look
almost totally dark, with only the brightest highlights having any
yellow or green still. These areas will turn paper white in the wash,
but the other, darker colors will do well once they are hit by the
water. The paper I use is Strathmore Bristol - Plate or Smooth finish -
with a 4x5 or 8x10 negative - I've never used a computer generated
negative so I can't help you there. I double coat my paper (unsized),
the second coat going on after the first is dry and I use the
traditional formula 1:1 (which I'd have to look up). In the wash, I lay
the print face down in a tray of water rather than washing across the
surface, and then rock the tray just like developing a print in the
darkroom. I've found that I get a lot more image loss with direct water
washing than with my soaking method. Although we do thing differently, I
hope that you might be able to find something useful in my process...

- Randy