Re: Troubleshooting cyanotypes

From: Camden Hardy <camden_at_hardyphotography.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 10:25:53 -0600 (MDT)

> The paper used was Fabriano Artistico (mixed results) and Arches
> Platine (uniformly bad).

By "uniformly bad" do you mean you got the same results? If so, I would
say you're on the right track with the Platine. Once you can get
consistent results, you can make minor changes to your
exposure/development/chemistry/etc. to get the desired print.

You said it looked good before development; in my experience, cyanotypes
shouldn't look good before development. They usually have a disgusting
yellow/puke green color to them. The blue tones develop out in the water.
 My guess is you're underexposing. Try upping the exposure and see if
that helps.

Good luck,
Camden Hardy

camden@hardyphotography.net