Re: Gums a la Demachy and Puyo and all sorts of other things

From: Katharine Thayer <kthayer_at_pacifier.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 10:05:30 -0700

Thanks Chris, this is all very interesting, particularly the part
about the different curves for different pigments even with different
exposure times. I only have one quibble, and it's not with anything
you've said here but with the quoted passage at the bottom:

>> As to curves, I do take them very serously, I have both of Dan's
>> books and I
>> would not have asked him to speak at APIS if I did not take curves
>> seriously.. But that is for processes like platinum. applying
>> curves to achieve standard
>> development times is, as Katherine has pointed out, quite
>> inappropriate for
>> gum as emulsions are different every time you apply a coat and
>> one has infinite
>> control in development..

I don't know who wrote this, as there's no identification and I
didn't see the original post, but I certainly never said what I've
been cited above as saying, that "applying curves to achieve standard
development times is quite inappropriate for gum" All I said was

"The point being that there are many roads to the kingdom, and maybe
ultimately there's no difference in result between holding the
exposure constant and making a different curve for every possible
pigment and pigment concentration, and holding the curve constant and
exposing differently for each emulsion. I don't know that I'd ever be
willing to take the time to test that, but maybe someone will,
sometime."

It looks like Chris has tested that at least in part, and that she's
decided the results are not the same. But at any rate, saying that I
wonder if there's any difference between the end result of the two
approaches is way different from saying that one of the approaches is
"inappropriate," something I would never say about any approach to
printing gum.
Katharine