RE: Justification for complication in various cyanotype processes

From: Loris Medici <mail_at_loris.medici.name>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 01:58:39 +0300

Terry,

________________________________

From: TERRYAKING@aol.com [mailto:TERRYAKING@aol.com]
Sent: 20 Temmuz 2006 Perşembe 01:13
To: alt-photo-process-L@usask.ca
Subject: Justification for complication in various cyanotype processes

>"The point was whether the increased complication of the new cyanotype
system was justified by the advantages offered. It was not just about over
complication."

For me it's a fact that new cyanotype has advantages. Also I do think that
new cyanotype is not that much overcomplicated as you imply... Modus
operandi is the same and the making of the emulsion is slightly harder - in
the meantime, I believe that anyone who's capable of making tea, adding
sugar to it and stir can do the new emulsion. Therefore referring to it as
"over-complicated" is unfair in my view.

>"You tried to reverse the argument by claiming that there was no increased
complicaton but would not give a fair comparison of the two to demonstrate
your point."

It was a very fair, detailed and informative mail. It's your problem if you
don't like it.

>"In fact, the main justification for the new cyanotype was, I am told, that
it gave increased speed. There was also a claim that it gave continuous tone
while the 'classic' method did not. This was, of course, demonstrable
nonsense."

I stated what I find superior in new cyanotype many times (I have to write
that I also find classic formula pretty doable and nice but my preference is
the new one - For the sake of not starting a flame war), please refer to
those. I won't list them again - because it gets tiresome.

Loris.