Re: palladium drydown and developer

From: Christina Z. Anderson <zphoto_at_montana.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 09:36:49 -0600

Well Clay,

This is worth far more than 2 cents to me! This is exactly the information I
am looking for, and thank you for sharing so freely.

This week I have completed printing 30 large pds--didn't think I could do
it, but I did and I realized two things: how greatly I respect you
inveterate pd printers and how much you learn by doing something over and
over and over. I realize how addictive pt/pd is, especially because results
come in one printing unlike gum, but I also realize that my first love and
expertise is and will be certainly gum! If things don't come out right the
first time, there's always another layer....

BTW, speaking of pd over albumen or some other glossy surface, I made a pd
print yesterday on top of a gelatin sized paper (I ran out of Platine :().
At an exposure time of 8.5 minutes UVBL it was barely there and I noticed in
the developer that it mostly swooshed off. So I printed the image in gum,
and then returned to printing a layer of pd on top of the gum (I know that
doesn't make a bit of sense since the surface is now even more glossy, but I
wanted to experiment with the King process outlined in View Camera mag), and
I printed it at 17 minutes. It worked but has a tendency in the developer
even at that gross exposure to wash off the gum layer. That makes logical
sense, I guess, but for some reason I was thinking it'd behave like gum and
be more tenacious with further exposure.

Interestingly, cyanotype on top of gum has much more tenacity, as I have
done lots of those. I have no idea why this should be different with pd.
The reason I brought this up is my experience is similar to yours, below,
that it sure makes more sense to let the pd sink into the paper and do the
layers of other stuff on top. But I have to say I do like the print!
Chris