RE: Voting list members off the island

From: Loris Medici <mail_at_loris.medici.name>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 13:53:21 +0300

Dear Katharine,

-----Original Message-----
From: Katharine Thayer [mailto:kthayer@pacifier.com]
Sent: 24 Temmuz 2006 Pazartesi 01:22
To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
Subject: Voting list members off the island

>"...But every now and then someone takes it upon himself to try to
limit the discussions to some lowest common denominator of topics which
would interest absolutely everyone."

Agree. My observation is that: this behaviour often show itself in the
gum threads. Probably because with gum there are so many parameters to
consider, so many unknown details and so many ways to heaven...

>"...To try to impose one's own preferences on the list community as a
whole is megalomania indeed. Terry and some of his detractors have been
equally guilty of engaging in these campaigns, which as Peter says
about the campaign against the Rex processes, can be much more annoying
and tedious than whatever information or discussion they are intended to
quash in the first place; in fact, in my opinion they are invariably
so."

I hope I'm not in the scope of this comment, but I feel to reply anyway
because I was somehow misunderstood by you recently in a similar context
(Remember David's "one coat gum" thread? I was accused by you for
imposing my preferences to others) I never try to impose my subjective
views / preferences to people, I just state them and explain the whys.
Do you think it will help if I put the line "...Opinions presented in
this message are purely subjective, you're free to make your own
decision / draw your own conclusion by taking them into consideration or
disregarding them (completely or partly in either case)." to the end of
my every message? Because I'm slowly starting to get disturbed of being
labeled that way - of course that is if you consider me as one of the
persons mentioned in your above comment... (I somehow felt that this is
the case.)

To me, approaching to the preferences and justifications one has made
(very carefully and logically) in a derogatory / contemptuous /
dismissive manner, without providing any sensible information / facts /
counter-hypothesis is highly offending (since I see myself as a sensible
/ logical person; in fact, I make my living by programming computers)
and a form of imposition. BTW, I'm never afraid to stand corrected
and/or give credit to someone who deserves it (even if they defeated me
in an argument). New / correct / useful information enriches me - and
that is exactly the reason of my presence in this list (many thanks to
all list contributors).

Thanks for listening (reading actually).

Greetings from Istanbul,
Loris.