Voting list members off the island

From: Katharine Thayer <kthayer_at_pacifier.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 15:22:20 -0700

On Jul 23, 2006, at 8:44 AM, Peter Marshall wrote:

> The new methods are bound to become widely known in time as various
> people attend the workshops or pay for the instructions. I don't
> see much point in Terry's approach in charging as I think it is
> more trouble than it is worth for the small amount he will make
> from it, but I don't have any problem with him doing so. There have
> been several people conducting a very silly campaign on here about
> this that annoys me rather more than anything Terry has done in
> recent months.

I have to agree with Peter that the campaign of derision against
Terry has been annoying; in fact John Grocott has managed to land
himself on my short list of people whose posts I won't bother reading
again, for his contributions to this campaign. And there are others
I won't name, who have sunk in my estimation because of their
participation.

Not that I'm championing Terry particularly; I personally have found
the posts I've read of his so empty of useful content that I've never
taken steps to reroute his mail from the junk folder where my mail
program automatically sends anything that comes from aol.com. So the
only parts of his posts I see as a rule are those quoted by others .

But regardless, nothing in what I've seen quoted from Terry's posts
below the derisive or contemptuous responses is as potentially
disruptive to the list, in my opinion, as Don's suggestion, quoted
below, that we should vote Terry "off the island." When the
membership of this list is decided by popular vote, the list will
cease being a useful place for the discussion and dissemination of
information and will become simply a house organ for whatever little
group has managed to vote off the island everyone they don't like
personally, or with whom they disagree on issues, or whose interests
don't coincide with theirs. It will be a cozy little group, but not a
very useful or complete source of the wealth of information,
expertise, approaches and viewpoints available about alt photo
processes.

The beauty and value of this list is that there is something for
everyone here. We all come from different backgrounds and have
different criteria for deciding who seems credible, whose style we
learn from best, what information is most useful to us. There is a
wide range of knowledge and interest, from beginners who just want a
recipe for how to do a process (and don't bother me with any
complications about the process itself) to beginners who really want
to understand the process in depth and are frustrated that the
answers to their questions aren't yet known, to experts who are
trying to find those answers. There should be room for all those
interests and levels of expertise here, and in my experience, there
always has been, during my tenure here at least.

There is a good balance, in my opinion, between questions and answers
about the simple practical details of, say gum printing, and more in-
depth discussions intended to share observations and test results as
a way of coming to a deeper understanding of the mechanisms of the
process. But every now and then someone takes it upon himself to
try to limit the discussions to some lowest common denominator of
topics which would interest absolutely everyone. To try to impose
one's own preferences on the list community as a whole is megalomania
indeed. Terry and some of his detractors have been equally guilty of
engaging in these campaigns, which as Peter says about the campaign
against the Rex processes, can be much more annoying and tedious
than whatever information or discussion they are intended to quash in
the first place; in fact, in my opinion they are invariably so.

Gordon decides who has been so insulting to fellow list members as to
merit expulsion from the list; for those who fail to reach that level
but whose contributions we personally find annoying or not useful, or
for discussions that don't interest us, the delete key or a kill
file is the reasonable solution. My 2cents.

Katharine