Re: sodium citrate, ammonium citrate, bleeding of borders

From: wcharmon_at_wt.net
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 10:37:53 -0500

I'll jump in here. The acidity influences the clearing of residual ferric
oxalate from the paper. If your clearing baths are at all basic, you risk
creating insoluble iron that gets locked into the fibers of the paper. My
water here in Houston in the summer has a pH of 7.8 to 8.0. I noticed that I
was having a difficult time in clearing prints if I dropped them into a plain
water bath right after the developer and right before the first clearing bath.
So my procedure now is to put my prints straight into a bath of citric acid
directly from the developer. My clearing problems went away completely.

The relevance here is that if your developer has a pH above 7.0, you risk
creating the same clearing problem with the developer.

Clay

--
believed to be clean.