Re: sodium citrate, ammonium citrate, bleeding of borders

From: Christina Z. Anderson <zphoto_at_montana.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 09:23:06 -0600

Sandy,
In what way does the acidity have a big impact on printing? In the way the
print looks finally or in the way it processes? I think a while back you had
said that you get staining if the developer does not stay acid but I am not
seeing that happen.

BTW, Sam also told me you've tested am and sod side by side and may know the
speed/dif between the two. Does your result match mine--sod being a bit
lower contrast, 1/4 stop slower maybe at most, and a bit yellower in tone?
Chris

>I use sodium citrate for printing kallitype, and sometime with
> palladium (though for palladium I prefer potassium oxalate). What I
> use is Trisodium Citrate, C6H5Na3O7, 258.07. When mixed with
> distilled water the resulting pH is about 7.0. I bring this down to
> about pH 6.0 by adding more citric acid to the mix, and this has a
> big impact on printing.

One could also add citric acid to an ammonium