Re: sodium citrate, ammonium citrate, bleeding of borders

From: Ender100_at_aol.com
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 22:43:55 -0400 (EDT)

Clay,

I forgot to mention I am using 3 successive baths of PermaWash for clearing
and it works great.

Mark

In a message dated 7/24/06 10:41:44 AM, wcharmon@wt.net writes:

> I'll jump in here. The acidity influences the clearing of residual ferric
> oxalate from the paper. If your clearing baths are at all basic, you risk
> creating insoluble iron that gets locked into the fibers of the paper. My
> water here in Houston in the summer has a pH of 7.8 to 8.0. I noticed that I
> was having a difficult time in clearing prints if I dropped them into a
> plain
> water bath right after the developer and right before the first clearing
> bath.
> So my procedure now is to put my prints straight into a bath of citric acid
> directly from the developer. My clearing problems went away completely.
>
> The relevance here is that if your developer has a pH above 7.0, you risk
> creating the same clearing problem with the developer.
>
> Clay

Best Wishes,
Mark Nelson
To NSA: When you read this email, would you please search your database for
my other black sock?
Precision Digital Negatives--The Book
PDNPrint Forum at Yahoo Groups
www.MarkINelsonPhoto.com