"How Old", "The Killing Fields" and Photo Crit

From: Dean Kansky <deankansky_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 10:54:53 -0700 (PDT)

Dear all,

Camden, while I do not disagree with you, you also
have to understand - and if you read through the
archives from the late 90's you will - the context:
these problems have been running for around a decade.
10 years! and took place on two different lists.

Moreover, what is going on now is nothing compared to
what happened last time: Terry, for example, said Judy
slandered the list in her wonderful Post Factory, and
she did not in any any way. He, in point of fact, with
that claim slandered her. It came out of no place,
since by then the two were not speaking. It was just
something dropped in amid praise for her journal.

Also, as I recall, Terry tried to contact the FBI when
someone, he said, made threats (as I recall from a
post to the Photo Crit list).

These are only two small things from a long history.
If you were there not back there then, it is hard,
very hard, to understand why the vets of that time are
on edge.

I have been on two other lists, non photo, for men who
wear bespoke clothing and the tailors who make the
clothing. And there were two or three problems.
Nothing like this list in the 90's. Not even close.

This place was the Killing Fields back then.

Trust me, we will visit this issue again.

I had another post written to point out blame, without
mentioning a name and a kind of methodology for
finding if one person was really to blame or not. But
in the interest of list harmony, and getting back to
important things, I have held back from posting it.

For now, dear list, I think it is time to call an end
to this debate or meta-discussion. Gordon has seen fit
to kick Terry off the list, when he has felt Terry
went too far (twice by my count). He has seen to
forgive him, also and let him back. Terry has never
said Gordon was wrong, has mistreated him, or has been
unfair. As concerns the past, that makes a lot of
things clear.

No matter what anyone thinks, pro or con, we must
accept the situation if we wish to stay on the list.
It is not our list, so we must leave or delete. So
lets end this, all right, and get back to work.

BTW, while I agree with many who talk about the use of
the delete button, there can be a chilling effect if
members are afraid or are to busy to deal with an
unfriendly critique of their posts. If someone feels
belittled, they respond and on and on and on.

Dean

P.s. Does anyone know if the a Photo Crit list is
still around???