Re: Nikon scheduled to release a new 10 MP DSLR

From: etienne garbaux <photographeur_at_nerdshack.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 22:43:24 -0400

Richard wrote:

> The hallmark of these old print process is a lack of tonal range,
> poor definition and a grainy finish - just the kind of quality that
> requires a wooden stand camera with a lens that has had sandpaper
> applied to at least one surface, if not both.

If your question is not tongue-in-cheek, the answer is, "It depends."

I, for one, make mostly carbon prints on glossy baryta paper and
platinum and cyanotype prints on the smoothest, whitest, hot-rolled
paper I can find, usually by contact printing from in-camera negatives.
The carbon prints surpass the best I can do on silver-gelatin paper in
both tonal range and definition. The Platinums and cyanos approach the
quality of S-G prints on matte paper in both regards. None is grainy.

Others, some of whom use materials and methods similar to mine, have
artistic visions that they express in prints with different tonal
ranges and detail than mine.

Best regards,

etienne