RE: My papyrus adventures

From: Eric Neilsen <e.neilsen_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 09:30:22 -0500

Kate, Here is my technique for coating Bein Fang and other thin paper.

When I coat thin papers for printing, I coat the entire sheet out to the
edges. To do this I use drafting tape along the edges to hold the paper
down, but it is not used in one continuous piece on each edge, but rather it
is a series of lengths that allow for the paper to be relieved and
reattached to the surface being used to coat the paper. As the solution is
applied the paper will grow. I go around the paper and move the tape, with
paper attached outward, gently pulling on the paper. This is done all around
the paper until both an even coating and flattened paper are achieved.
Immediately I remove all the tape and with the little extra in the brush,
apply solution to the areas where the tape was covering it. The paper is
then dried and rehumidified. The humidity that I return to is 60% +/- 3%.
This is for platinum printing.

To expose the paper, I use a sheet of Plexiglas with a rubber pad adhered to
it. The rubber pad is small than the paper but bigger than the image area.
The paper is attached to the plexi with drafting tape carefully pulling on
the edges so that it is laying flat. The neg is placed on top of it and it
is placed in the contact frame.

Eric

Eric Neilsen Photography
4101 Commerce Street