Re: One coat gum - first one for me - how is it for you?

From: Marek Matusz <marekmatusz_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 18:08:55 +0000

David,
Just an outstanding gum print. Congratulation! You got everything right on
the first try, although details are a little scetch because of the size of
the picture. The pigment that you used, calcined iron oxide is indeed very
opaque and not very dark. I use it every now and then in Southwest
landscapes. A lot of red rock there is colored with similar pigments. Here
in the US it is mostly called venetian red, or english red. A wonderful way
to add some depth to this pigment is to put a very thin layer of thalo green
restricted to the shadows only on top of fist red layer. Those on the list
that have done some paiting will understand the use of complementary color.
I say you are ready for those multilayer gums. That's where all the gum
printers end up.
For a while I was afraid everybody decided to run for some office, the list
was so quiet.
Marek, Houston