toning "lumen" prints

From: Christina Z. Anderson <zphoto_at_montana.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 22:11:56 -0600

Good evening all,
Can't seem to shake "China time"--up late at night, sleep til noon in the
morning...hmmmm.

I slugged through 140pp of notes from time immemorial, and came across a
statement by a very reputable black and white source who said that when a
print exposed in the sun as per Burchfield's lumen prints (intense, long sun
exposure, no development, just fixing, as per our discussion back in sept.
or oct.) the silver halide is reduced to elemental silver, which does not
tone.

However, I have also in my notes from either Liam Lawless, Kees or someone
on this list from years ago (2000?) that toning works great with POP paper
(not traditional POP but POP you create from normal enlarging paper). I am
way too lazy to take my print into the school's darkroom at the moment and
see if it tones--anyone doing lumen prints lately can help me out here? I
tend to believe Liam/Kees' statement...
Chris