media for oil prints

From: Gordon J. Holtslander <holtsg_at_duke.usask.ca>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 20:10:30 -0600

Have had a little time to play with oil prints.

I tried modifying an oil pigment by adding calcium carbonate. Put some
pigment on a tile added a bit of calcium carbonate and worked them
together with a putty knife.

I ended up with a sort of powdery pigment that would not differentiate
between the wet and dry portions on the oil print.

Did I add to much calcium carbonate?

Are there any other things that can be used to increase the body of the
ink - or rather make the ink less sticky so that it will differeniate
between the wet and dry parts of the print?

David Lewis offers a clay based stiffening powder - is anyone familiar
with this?
http://www.bromoil.com/supplies.htm#Lewis%20Pigments

I am just looking for a way to have a variety of colors to use on oil
prints. Could I just buy Red Blue and Green litho inks and use these to
mix the colors I need? or should I use cyan, magenta and yellow?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Gord
Gordon J. Holtslander Dept. of Biology
holtsg@duke.usask.ca 112 Science Place
http://duke.usask.ca/~holtsg University of Saskatchewan
Tel (306) 966-4433 Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Fax (306) 966-4461 Canada S7N 5E2