Re: digital negatives

From: Michael Koch-Schulte ^lt;mkochsch@shaw.ca>
Date: 03/13/06-10:34:10 PM Z

Margery,

My thinking on the colour management issue is that there are a number of
different possibilities that will or could work. I use a "no color
management" workflow, that doesn't mean that things still can't go wrong.
Epson's driver dialogues all seem to have their peculiarities between
models. I think the main thing is that you don't change your colour
management half-way through your calibration and start introducing new
variables. If it stays static it shouldn't really be an issue unless you're
working in a environment where you import a lot of files which have profiles
already attached. Any changes are going to throw your curve out the door. I
don't know about the 2200 but, as far as resolution goes my Epson R300
prints 8X10s at 5760 DPI. (It's made me realize that my coating technique is
often the weakest link in the chain.) I think the more DPI the better, turn
on Super Microweave "On", set High Speed to "Off" and go for coffee. When I
compare negatives printed on older printers at lower DPI (say 1440) the
difference is noticable. I use a media setting of Premium Glossy Photo
Paper, but I've heard Luster also is an option. Black Ink only can work,
BUT, using a Photoshop layer with a colour (e.g. for me it's R176,G176,B0)
in "Screen" mode adapted your specific process and technique is easier to
curve and a more efficient UV blocker -- the better way to go -- IMO.

~m