RE: An exchange with Mike Ware (on Argyrotype)

From: Greg Schmitz ^lt;gws1@columbia.edu>
Date: 03/24/06-09:55:19 AM Z

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006, Loris Medici wrote:

== much deleted: snip%<

> Ryuji:
> "Regarding relative longevity of those nongelatin silver processes, it's
> probably the best to run a peroxide fuming test with very low peroxide
> concentration. (If you use a test condition used for toned
> silver-gelatin prints, I expect the image to fade very fast and won't be
> able to see any relative difference.)"
>
> Can we use household 3% peroxide for this, or still need something
> stronger?

=====================================

Loris:

Regarding H2O2 testing if you havn't already you might want to take a look at:

Wilhelm, Henry and Carol Brower. Permanence and Care of Color Photographs:
Traditional and Digital Color Prints, Color Negatives, Slides, and Motion
Pictures.

It's available online here: http://www.wilhelm-research.com/book_toc.html

If the book does not get into specifics, I'm sure that papers on the topic
would be referenced in the chapter notes.

I seem to recall that there was a some controversy over the relevance of H2O2
testing. You might want to poke around the COOL website
<http://sul2.stanford.edu/> and you might also check out the Photographic
Materials Group (American Institute of Conservation for Historic and Artistic
Works) <http://aic.stanford.edu/sg/pmg/index.html> There are other sites which
may yield more information about H2O2 tests, such as the Canadian site for CCI
<http://www.cci-icc.gc.ca/>

Best -greg schmitz