Re: Gloy is NOT PVA

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 03/26/06-11:51:33 AM Z

David, just out of curiosity, what do your sources say Gloy is made
of, if not PVA?

Products do change over time, as you say; my vague but perhaps
imperfect understanding is that gloy was once made of gum arabic and
later came to be made from PVA, just as Elmer's glue was once made
from milk products (hence the cow logo) and later changed to PVA.

The designation PVOH to distinguish polyvinyl alcohol from polyvinyl
acetate may be useful here to help us keep them straight, but isn't
a term used in the literature about dichromated polyvinyl alcohol,
where it is simply referred to as PVA. There was a discussion here a
year or two ago about the difference between the two; if you're
interested you might look at that.
Katharine