poly(vinyl alcohol) (was Re: Gloy is NOT PVA)

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 03/26/06-02:25:13 PM Z

Poly(vinyl alcohol) was first prepared by saponification of poly(vinyl
esters) by Herrmann and Haehnel in 1924, and first published in
scientific literature in 1927. The current method of production is
transesterification of poly(vinyl esters) by alcohols in presence of
alkali catalyst. This method was developed by those two and Berg in
1932.

Note that, poly(vinyl alcohol) is still a rather broad range of
polymers that vary in terms of degree of hydrolysis and the type of
alcohols (the ratio of 1,2-diol and 1,3-diol).

Completely hydrolyzed or nearly completely hydrolyzed poly(vinyl
alcohol) is used as adhesives for paper, paperboard, textile,
etc. There are several common additives to these types of adhesives.

Partially hydrolyzed copolymer, poly(vinyl alcohol-co-acetate) is used
for very similar applications as well, together with vinyl
acetate. They make excellent vinyl acetate emulsion adhesives, that
have superior adhesion properties. This is very typical of wood glue
products.

Paper sizing is another major application of PVA. Completely
hydrolyzed PVA provides good strength and wet resistance, compared to
styrene-butadiene latex copolymer (which requires twice as much),
casein, starch, etc. (often require 3x as much). Patents for inkjet
papers often mention PVA with colloidal silica as the binder to coat
on paper, which has such desirable properties as quick absorption of
moisture with little spreading and dye penetration.