Re: An exchange with Mike Ware (on Argyrotype)

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 03/26/06-02:36:27 PM Z

Well, the important part is to test whether iron is indeed involved in
degradation of image, paper or both. If the answer is affirmative,
then we should develop a way to thoroughly wash out iron, inactivate
its catalyst action, and so on. It makes most sense if we know what
the weakest part is, and remove that weakness. Firing shotguns is not
the best approach.

Mike Ware's reply mentioned that iron-generated hydroxy radicals are
serious threat to conservation of paper. Does anyone have specific
references to such studies? (I don't use iron in my process, and I'm
not familiar with this area.)