RE: An exchange with Mike Ware (on Argyrotype)

From: Loris Medici ^lt;mail@loris.medici.name>
Date: 03/26/06-01:46:45 PM Z

I'm not a chemical genius at all but what I understood from Ryuji's
explanation belowis that even a trace amount is intolerable:

"...In short, oxygen in air can make very potent and active oxidizing
agents, such as peroxide and hydroxyl radical. These are collectively called
"active oxygen species" and are the same kind of things that they talk about
one possible mechanism of aging. The thing is that, the generation of
radicals is much much faster
when there is iron in the environment, because iron is a very active
catalyst for this type of reactions..."

The keyword that takes me to such a (maybe wrong) conclusion is: "catalyst".
Does it ring some bells?

See http://duke.usask.ca/~holtsg/photo/current/0303.htm for the whole
message.

Best regards,