RE: Soft proof

From: Don Bryant ^lt;dstevenbryant@mindspring.com>
Date: 03/30/06-03:21:46 PM Z

Yves,

Since you are not Color Management savvy (I'm not suggesting that I am) and
don't own color profiling hardware and software I would suggest contacting
the Picture Farm, Inc. for more info.

There is no way to do ICC profiling automatically or auto-magically for gum
printing or for any other printing. There is a lot of information on the
'net about Color Managed systems and workflows. If you want to tackle it
yourself you will need to study and understand Color Management.

I use Monaco Easy Color and it allows me to build profiles for devices such
as my monitor, scanner, and digital camera. I can also profile different
inks and papers for color ink jet printing. The Monaco icc file format is
non-standard and but I can use it to soft-proof. You could possibly use this
system or other profiling systems to create ink jet color separations for
tri-colored gum prints but this process becomes much more complicated since
each color gum layer negative requires it's own process adjustment curve.
I've not attempted to do this and don't plan to.

My advice is not to take the Color Managed approach until you have at least
done some tri-colored printing yourself. Getting perfect color prints isn't
really my goal and I like to fly by the seat of my pants at times and depart
from realistic color. My experience printing the Ole No Moire test negative
shows that you can get a pretty good color rendering, however more than
likely your highlights and shadows will have their own individual color bias
and not be purely neutral. Whether this is objectionable or not is up to
your analysis. IMO, my prints of the Ole No Moire are much much better than
the samples others have shown on their web site. I size my paper and I think
that helps tremendously.

I must be honest and thank Chris Anderson for her guidance as I've adopted
her method of tri-colored gum. And I'm sure that Sam Wang needs to be
thanked for mentoring Chris at Clemson University.

Don Bryant