alternative colloids was RE: gloy for tricolor on yupo?

From: Gordon J. Holtslander ^lt;holtsg@duke.usask.ca>
Date: 03/31/06-07:19:13 PM Z

Ok Loris:

If PVA doesn't work ...

Casein shows some promise - though the stuff I mix up goes bad after a few
days and smells terrible. Fresh stuff is fine - but does have a trace
scent of ammonia. I believe one can change its properties by
varying the concentration of water and ammonia (I mix it from a powder
with water and ammonia)

casein is a protein - I've wondered how soy protein would work

What about microbially produced gums like xanthan and gellan
or maybe pullulan, a fermented carbohydrate
http://www.hayshibara-intl.com/food/pullulan.html

What about mixing two colloids?

Gord

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006, Loris Medici wrote:

> Well Katherine, I'll cut this short. Yes, I know such a person (a well
> known gum printer - that's the reason of my insistence in discussing
> this issue). I'm concluding (he/she)'s not reading the list anymore
> because (he/she) didn't chimed in... Will contact (him/her) privately
> and ask (him/her) to share (his/her) experience in using gloy on
> impervious surfaces. Let's hope (he/she)'ll be kind enough to share this
> information with you (and maybe others).
>
> You can bet I'll try this myself too (with homemade PVA and/or PVAOH
> colloid) - after I digest all that information provided regarding this
> issue, in order to be able to ask for the right PVA from local
> suppliers. I do really want to make pigment color prints - I'm pretty
> determined on this - and want to explore all probable shortcuts before
> jumping into relatively slow processes like tri-color gum / duocolor gum
> over cyanotype / color carbon(!). I really want to be able to finish a
> color print in one evening (I'm a pretty impatient person when it comes
> to getting results). I would be doing temperaprints now - instead of
> struggling so much - but I really don't like (really!) the smell of
> exposed / warm-dichromated-whole egg - I have a pretty sensitive nose (I
> must admit that I also don't like much temperaprint's surface texture -
> caused by the foam roller...)
>
> Regards - hoping to find out if earth's flat or round,
> Loris.
>
> P.S. It seems that I didn't manage to cut it short ;). Anyway...

Gordon J. Holtslander Dept. of Biology
holtsg@duke.usask.ca 112 Science Place
http://duke.usask.ca/~holtsg University of Saskatchewan
Tel (306) 966-4433 Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Fax (306) 966-4461 Canada S7N 5E2