Re: that NY Times article

From: Greg Schmitz <gws1_at_columbia.edu>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 09:52:43 -0400 (EDT)

I disagree, political discussion will not kill this list! I noted
before and will again that, using the letpress list as an example, it
is possible to have a vigorous and vital listserv discussion with NO
moderation what-so-ever; and some of the discussions on the letpress
list make anything that has ever happened here look rather
insignificant. I think it is wrong that anybody has been "removed"
for anything that has been said here. Short of making physical
threats I think we are all adult enough to deal with anything that
might come our way here.

I make (or don't make) many of my photographs BECAUSE of my political
beliefs as have many other photographers whose work I admire. My
interest in alt-photo comes, at least in part, from my political
beliefs, as I know is the case for at least a few others here. My
ability to make photographs has, in fact, been impacted by the rampant
fascism (and I do not use that term lightly) currently in vogue here
in the U.S. and I don't think it is prudent to be silent on matters
that are of consequence to myself or my friends, my country or the
world. FWIW, "left" and "right" no longer have any meaning, at least
to me; facts do. Democrats and Republicans both drink from the same
trough and are beholden to the same masters. This "alt-photo" storm
will blow over and when the dust settles we will all get back to the
business of making pictures in our own ways maybe even with a few new
twists. There are, I'm sure "sterile" venues that probably lack the
intimacy of this list available if one only wants to write about
paper, pigments and other issues related to the "technical" side of
photography; or perhaps I missed something and alt-photo is only about
affixing an image to a surface and has nothing to do with the image
itself.

Best, and good luck to us all -greg