Re: Dmax versus process?

From: Sandy King <sanking_at_clemson.edu>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 11:32:35 -0400

Yves,

I don't know if there is a text on this anywhere, but my own
measurement of reflective Dmax of these type of prints suggests the
following. This has been for prints with a full range of tones from
the highlights to the shadows, and is for one coating and exposure.

By process, the maximum Dmax that I have seen are.
1. Silver gelatin print on glossy paper -- log. 2.2 or higher.
2. Carbon prints on glossy papers -- log 2.0
3. Silver gelatin print on matte paper - log 1.85
4. Carbon prints on matte type surfaces - log 1.80
5. Albumen -- log 1.8
6. Pt./Pd. and kallitype -- log 1.55
7. VDB and Argyrotype -- 1.45
8. Salt Print -- 1.40
9. Gum prints -- 1.20

Again, these numbers are based on readings that I have taken of
actual prints, and will almost certainly differ to some extent from
the experience of others. Also, toning plays an important role in
Dmax of all types of silver prints.

It might be interesting to gather more information on this with wider
sampling, but for useful results it would have to be done in standard
conditions and with calibrated equipment.

Sandy