Re: Dmax versus process?

From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs_at_silvergrain.org>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 18:44:05 -0400

On Mon, 01 May 2006 14:53:12 -0400, "Yves Gauvreau" <gauvreau-
yves@sympatico.ca> said:

> At first, I ask the question out of curiosity and with the answers
> given I realise it doesn't really matter which is the top ranking Dmax
> producing process.

It does matter in a few specific cases... If the subject matter could
use extra density range AND viewed in bright lighting condition, or if
the material is projected or backlit. You can get this kind of
information from basic vision psychophysics literature. There are also
photography-oriented research on the matter as well.

Also, if you coat more material to increase Dmax, it often accompanies
increase in contrast, because the density builds up faster with unit
increase in exposure, but the Dmax is practically limited by the surface
texture. Many old low-tech silver-gelatin papers in grades 4 relied on
this fact by coating more silver on the paper to increase contrast.