Re: Back-exposing on plastic (was: Re: Gum transfer

From: Katharine Thayer <kthayer_at_pacifier.com>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 10:04:44 -0700

On May 2, 2006, at 9:16 AM, Yves Gauvreau wrote:

> I'm sure this is a misunderstanding (on my part) or a different
> interpretation of what "contrast" means and since you have much more
> experience on this then I do, would you be so kind to explain
> further what
> you mean. "> Well, for me 5% gives too much contrast already, so I
> sure
> wouldn't
> want anything less."

Too much contrast, in the context of the print I was talking about,
means that the tonal gaps between the printed tones are too great,
giving sharp, jerky transitions between tones. In the face, for
instance, there are only two tones, and there's a sharp edge between
them, which is what I meant when I said the tones in the face are
posterized.
kt