Re: Glut

From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs_at_silvergrain.org>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 18:56:49 -0400 (EDT)

From: altprinter <dstevenbryant@mindspring.com>
Subject: RE: Glut
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 17:47:34 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

> Some papers such as BFK require two coats of size for use with gum
> others only seem to need one.

I wouldn't say to *require* but I also find printmaking papers like
Magnani Pescia and Rives BFK could use extra sizing material (e.g.,
double coats of plain gelatin sizing solution) to control absorbance,
with silver gelatin process. Image looks sharper and richer this way.

I have no experience with casein sizing. You can certainly experiment
and determine the amount that makes noticeable viscosity change but
without solidifying too quickly at coating temperature.

For testing adequacy of hardening, my quick-and-clean method is to
write something on sized and dried paper with a 2B pencil, wet it, and
try to rub off the pencil lead without damaging the sizing layer. If
the size is well hardened, this should be very easy. If in doubt, you
can dry that paper, write with pencil again, and wet again. Sizing
should be able to take that at least a few cycles.

If sizing layer is damaged by rubbing friction sufficient to erase
pencil, it's inadequate.

Good luck,

Ryuji