RE: Glut

From: altprinter <dstevenbryant_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 17:47:34 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Sandy and Marek,

>Thanks for your comments. I am also using about a 3-4% gelatine
>solution applied in two coats for my carbon final support.
>
>And yes, I want to harden albumen for the same purpose. In talking
>about final supports with an albumen printer I learned that albumen
>coated papers were used at one time as final supports for carbon
>prints and I would like to explore this for my own work as coating
>with albumen appears to offer some advantages vis-a-vis coating with
>gelatin.

I'm coating a 3% solution heated to about 145 degrees. I'm very careful to keep my gelatin vessel covered except when extracting gelatin to controll the the release of glut fumes. I also have to high volume exhast fans running at all times when using glut. My darkroom is about the same size as Sandy's (8x11 ft) so good ventalation is important. I also have a passive vent in my darkroom that provides a constant source of fressh air.

Some papers such as BFK require two coats of size for use with gum others only seem to need one.

Don Bryant