RE: Vandyke Brown with Citric Acid

From: Sandy King <sanking_at_clemson.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 12:43:22 -0400

Don,

Just a thought about staining with kallitype. Are you mixing the
sodium citrate developer with distilled water? If not, this could be
a cause of staining. I always get staining with both kallitype
(sodium citrate) and palladium (potassium oxalate) if I don't mix
these solutions with distilled water.

Another thing, check the pH of the sodium citrate developer. Some
supplies have an excess of sodium carbonate and measure alkaline. If
you find this to be the case, just add some citric acid to bring the
pH down to about 6 or so.

In my experience staining is primarily a product of the developer. To
avoid I mix the sodium citrate developer with distilled water, use a
regular method of replenishment, and add citric acid as necessary to
keep the pH in the acidic range.

All of the above applies equally to palladium printing.

Sandy