Re: oil prints -selective inking

From: John Grocott <john.grocott403_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 14:40:00 +0100

Henk and Gord et al, Our % gel coats differ to some extent; yours ammounting to a thicker deposit than mine. I have tried two coats of 10% and I do use Fabriano 5. 350 gsm. Its a nice surface. I should emphasize that my addition of 2% Citric acid does make it easier to brush on the gel. More than 2%, up to 25% , and you have a very, very slow setting glue solution similar to Gum.
            The sensitizer:- I note that you brush it on rather than by immersion. I will try brushing a one to one solution of alcohol to 2% Amm Dich. (1% final solution)
             Regarding my initial tests with alu sheet:- I have two disasterous results which I will keep:-
1. Exposed for one hour. Had to almost boil it to get the gel to swell. Looks like a black and white chequer board.
2. Exposed for 15 minutes. Still needs less UV. Will give it 8 minutes, next time.
The alu sheet is easier to handle than paper but needs more careful coating to avoid streaks. I did not use a substrate for the gel coat but will increase the surface keying with carborundum powder and apply two coats. Also thinking that a dip in 1% Chrome Alum for hardening might make the matrix more resilient.
              More later.John.