Re: Was Digital Sucks - spraying varnish—Dumb Question....

From: fdanb_at_aol.com
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 10:37:01 -0400

To: alt-photo-process-L@usask.ca

Not a dumb question at all.

The Museo Max has a very pronounced texture. When coupled with the
varnish, the surface is somewhat canvas-like, but doesn't have the
cliché canvas surface. Plus, by varying the ratio of gloss to matt, YOU
get control of the surface instead of relying on the paper
manufacturer. Make sense? The Museo Max is one of the heaviest papers
around at 360gsm (sheets). It has a terrific "real" feel. You really
feel like you're holding something. And when the varnish is added, it's
extra substantial. We first did the varnish on Jill's large inkjets
(giant copies of her small, handmade bromoils) and everyone at FotoFest
wanted to know what paper it was.

Having said all that, I am eager to try the Museo Silver Rag, though
the samples I've seen don't have the character of the varnished Max.

Hope this helps!

Dan