Re: Positive Oil prints from positive prints.

From: henk thijs <henk.thijs_at_hetnet.nl>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 14:02:47 +0200

Hi John,
The 'negative' behavior of the matrix is a known phenomena; in the book
of C.SYMES & WHALLEY they mentioned it as a result of :
- 'insufficient washing of the bromide print' ( not valid of course in
the case of an oilprint);
- ' due to hard water'
They remedy is cleaning the print with petrol and start again.
I think that is only true for a paper-matrix, cleaning an inked
aluminium sheet I never succeeded in doing this ; I got the impression
as if the ink was really 'etched' in the alu-sheet.
What I find in my 'bible' , a german book written by HARRY BETHKE/ Dr.
A.MEBES from 1920, is the following:
- swelling is not ok, a longer soaking required;
- apart from above the ink is too soft
- too long exposure

last but not least from 'Bromoil printing and Bromoil Transfer' by Emil
Mayer 1923 :
- he explains more or less the same causes as above, especially too
soft ink.
One word to Luis Nadeau's book : thanks to that I made my first
bromoils and I think he made a lot of very useful books , articles,
research etc.; on the other hand I think he uses also the 'copy and
paste' method for processes he did not do himself. Anyway he is a great
source for a lot of alt-process.

What about a cat looking for a warm place on the keyboard?
Cheers,
Henk

www.thijs-foto.com