Re: Negative Oil Prints and Resinotype similarities.

From: Alberto Novo <alt_list_at_albertonovo.it>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 14:54:50 +0200

John,

> Any further references to
> Namius would be very much appreciated.

found the citation:
"In my researches on the chemistry of the tranfromation of the silver image
for the better application of the bromoil process ... once I noted that,
having used some ink made very hard impasting it with lamp black, such ink
was better retained by the reliefs than the most insolubilized parts of the
image."
Namias R. (1929b) "Manuale teorico-pratico di Chimica Fotografica " 7a ed.,
Vol.II, " - Capo XXXIII. La Resinotipia e la Resinobromotipia, Il Progresso
Fotografico ed., Milano 1929, pp. 286-301

> ''......ink made too thick'',
> probably means, ''ink too hard.''
You are right. This was a very rough translation from Italian.

As for articles from Namias, he wrote almost exclusively in Italian, but
from articles in "Il Progresso Fotografico" from 1922 to 1931 I gathered
these information:
1922- a brief citation of his process in "Photographische Industrie", n.12,
1922;
1924- an "extended description of the resinotype process" was published in
Photo Revue n.16 and 17 (august and september), 1924;
1925- articles were published in Brit. J. Phot., Vol. 72, 1925, p. 220
(cited in L. Nadeau 1997 "Encyclopedia of Printing, Photographic, and
Photomechanical Processes" Second Printing, Atelier Nadeau, New Brunswick,
pp 417-418), and in Revue Francaise de Photographie. This last should be
very similar to a translation of the "Manuale di Resinotipia".
1926- an article in Bulletin de la Société française de photographie;
1928- an article in Photographische Korrespondenz, lately published in two
parts also in "Il Progresso Fotografico" and in the 1929 edition of his
"Manuale teorico-pratico di Chimica Fotografica".

A photographer named Giuseppe (or Joseph?) Petrocelli hold some conferences
and practical demonstrations in New York, and had a description of the
process published in "American Annual for 1925".
A description of the process is in L.P. Clerc "La technique photographique"
and also in two Russian books: Laubert I.K. (1931) "Photographic recipes and
tables" Statal Scientific-technical Pubs., Moscow-Leningrad July 1931 (288
pp.), and Klepikov P.V. (1938) "Chromium Salts Positive Processes"
Goskinoizdat, Moscow 1938 (128 pp.)

Apart from the Russian articles and the Clerc paragraph, I have not any copy
of the references I cited. If someone is able to find them and send me a
copy I will be very grateful.

Namias patented the powder for the process, as he never could have received
a patent for a gelatine paper. The title of his GB patent is "Improved
method for obtaining positive photographic pictures by means of powdered
pigments". His magazine "Il Progresso Fotografico" often published some
pages citing new photographic inventions, but it never announced the
national and foreign patent numbers of his invention. I myself tried to ask
the Italian text at the National Archive in Rome, but they did not find it.
On the contrary, the British and French patents are easily found by means of
Esp@cenet.
However, all you will find in his many articles is how to expose, dust,
correct, elaborate, ... a resinotype, but absolutely nothing about how to
prepare powders and paper at home.

Ciao
Alberto