Re:formaldehyde escalating etc.

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Thu, 3 Aug 1995 14:15:05 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 4 Aug 1995, David Soemarko wrote:

> Do you think (or has anyone try this) that drugstores or pharmacists
> would be more willing to sell us formaldehyde if we ask them to misx a
> 1.5% solution?

David, I can't tell from your address where you're from, but if it's
really Friday Aug 4, could that be Australia? Anyway, where I'm from, if
I asked the pharmacist (my friendly neighborhood one) over on 6th Avenue
to mix a 1.5% solution of whatever, he'd press the hidden alarm button &
the squad squad would arrive to wrap me in a wet sheet & take me to Bellevue.

That's an ingenious idea, which might actually work in small setting --
though if you knew the pharmacist well enough to persuade, they might
sell you the stuff to begin with. My suggestion would be more to trying
to persuade some supplier (Light Impressions, Photographers Formulary, or
whatever) to carry the stuff at a premium price to pay for the trouble &
then write them on your professional letterhead to get one pint, let's
say, per 5 years....or something like that. The degree to which this
over-regulation, sort of barn door drug non-prevention, galls me cannot
be overstated, however. Think I'd be more inclined, if I needed the stuff
without dr.'s prescription or university connection, to go to the back
door of an undertaker's with a $20 bill -- though maybe that's how the
drug dealers get theirs to begin with????

Anyway, I can't help wondering, are all you folks so young and healthy that
you NEVER go to a doctor? Or are you all in some kind of HMO where your
doctor doesn't know you well enough to oblige with a prescription? Or?

However, I understand that you can buy 37% formaldehyde at the
pharmacy over-the-counter, no prescription necessary, in Canada. That may
not be still true, or maybe my informant erred, or maybe it's too far
from Australia, but then again maybe you have a friend in Canada????

Judy