Re: Film for enlarged negatives

Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.compulink.co.uk)
Sat, 9 Sep 95 11:15 BST-1

> And along in here, as I recall, someone mentioned Selectol. If they
> meant
> Selectol Soft, it's no longer made. I forget whether Selectol is still
> made, but don't think it would be any better than Dektol in any event.
>
> Judy

One useful soft-working developer I have (which doesn't necessarily mean
it is still available) is Tetenal Centrabrom-S liquid. Normal working
dilution is 1+3.

I have used this with various Agfa graphics arts films (they were kind
enough to send some free samples) and also Kentmere Polyester film type
HSP-C(Clear) which is (or was) a rather cheap film. The box of this has
written on it by me: for positives: 15s f11 dev 3 min CentrabromS 1+9
for negs: 10s f11 dev 1m40s Ilford multigrade 1+9

Hasten to add it will only give a neg if you expose from a positive.

I used to make a soft, well-exposed positive, this could then be contact
printed to give a more contrasty neg if required - I think the second
developer was used to give appropriate contrast for platinum, I would try
the first one for negs for gum.

However these might be suitable starting points for experimentation

Peter
petermarshall@cix.compulink.co.uk