Re: bromoil home made paper

Henk Thijs (tys@masadm1.mas.eurocontrol.be)
Tue, 21 Nov 1995 11:25:40 GMT

Stefan wrote:
>Years ago I found a book from the RPS/England about pigment printing.The
>author described a method to remove the hardening of modern bromides by
>making it bone cracking dry after processing or something like that.
>I didn t try it and I couldn t realy belive that it works but if you are
>interested I look it up for you.
I have a copy (thanks to Rod Hook) of a book written by Symes , dated around
1960, where a description can be found of an extra soaking of 20 min. by a
temp. of 44 degree Celsius, drying -crispy- and soak again in the same way
before inking up.
I tried it out and the inking up is clearly better.(but David Lewis is of the
opinion that such high temperatures are not advisable)
If your article is a different one , please let me know , I am very interested
in any info according paper for bromoil.
>If you want to avoid the need of large printing negs (Whats the reason?)
I want to master the bromoil process, and on the other hand the 'fear for the
unknown', and a time problem. The eight hours to make my living is the real
problem , I miss them on the other end.
>I would suggest to use the Ozobrom process wich means to harden a gelatin
>paper by bleaching out a bromide on it s surface like we do for carbro.
>If you like the pure white of bromides give the gelatin paper apigmented
> sub coat or use fixed out bromides as a support
Ozobrom process? Where can I find more information about this?
thanks, greetings henk